[drivingpairs] Re: sorrel and Chestnut

  • From: Candis Hankins <kess@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:15:24 -0600

Sounds good to me. But I do know if the boss sent you out to get the sorrel and you came back with the chestnut it wouldn't matter what your genetics were, you'd still be a greenhorn. Did I mention that both sorrels and chestnuts come in five or more different colors? Reminds me of an old friend I knew who could never tell his pair apart until he measured them and found the black one to be an inch taller than the white one.

L.M. Tembreull wrote:

Shade is subjective, breed centric, and regional. One person's sorrel is another's chestnut. The standard nomenclature today is that the two are interchangeable and synonymous. Where I live - no matter the shade if it is a red Quarter Horse it is a sorrel. If it is a red Arabian it is a chestnut. If it is a Belgian it is a blonde sorrel. Phenotype and genotype could be identical on all three but because of the breed they are described differently. And that is why the equine genetics world has gone to the standard nomenclature it has. :o)

Lewella

----- Original Message ----- From: Candis Hankins To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2006 8:44 PM
Subject: [drivingpairs] Re: sorrel and Chestnut

Genetics are very cool, but cowboys go by what they see and therefore named the colors so you could tell one horse from another. If you had a pair of horses, the chestnut was the one with color that did not fade on the legs. The sorrel was the one with lighter color points. (excluding white markings of course) You know, phenotype and genotype?