[drivingpairs] Re: rule book/ breeching/ breed rules

  • From: Carpediemfarm@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:31:22 EST

In a message dated 2/19/2006 11:05:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 06:27:29 -0800 (PST)
> From: Jan Tobey <mars@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [drivingpairs] Re: A potentially dangerous situation - help and
> though
>
> Pairs Drivers, Helen, all,
>
>  The rule is in the American Shetland Pony Club, National Show Pony, and
> American Miniature Horse Registry, available on their web site:
> www.shetlandminiature.com
>
>  Scroll to the bottom right side and find the 2005 rulebook.   In adobe, do
> a search for "fine harness".   One of the links will be to Part 17 - Fine
> Harness Horses.  Part 17 C is the rule prohibiting britching.
>
>  The two responses I have received so far indicate my feelings, in that
> britching on (at least) the wheelers is essential to safety.  Keeping the
> wagon
> from rolling forward into the horses on a downhill slope.
>
>  I have petitioned to have this rule changed - we will see what happens.  In
> all years showing under this rule I have kept the britching on my wheelers
> because the show site is quite rolling and access to the show arena is
> ASPHALT
> and DOWNHILL.  I could have dropped it when reaching the arena, but one of
> the show requirements is to rein back and the wheelers use the britching to
> help push the carriage backwards.

Hi Friends,
here is one of my pet peeves with 'breed' rules.  I'm finding that many of
the 'rules' are adapted  by a group of people with NO BACKGROUND or KNOWLEDGE
of
the disapline of which they make the rules.

 However, you do have to accept that this is 'fine harness' and not 'pleasure
carriage' driving rules.  Fine harness has their own way of doing things.  If
you are going to play, you have to play by their rules...

I TOTALLY agree about breeching on a heavy vehicle (even on a light vehicle-
lets just say I LIKE BREECHING). It works and has a purpose.

I'm beginning to work with ALOT of minis.  I can't believe how many people
work their equines without breeching and then expect them to back up carriages
properly.  Without breeching the poor horse has to push the carriage backwards
off of the saddle pad that is digging into their withers.  I've actually seen
minis flip over as they are trying to push  (an immovable object - usually the
carriage & driver is 2x the weight of the mini ), backwards and they just end
up rearing in frustration and 'spin' over in the shafts.

Another breed rule that I don't like or see the use for:  QH- WHY on earth
would you have an overcheck and a running martingale on a 'peanut roller'?
Obviously someone once saw a 'fine harness' class and decided that that was the
'proper' way to turnout, and since then the rules have stated that that is the
way to show.  doesn't matter that the overcheck is so loose that it isn't
effective, or that the horse could catch the rings of the martingale on the
shaft
tips etc.

I'm glad that you are petitioning the  rules committee.  I feel that
committees should have a 'working knowledge' of the disapline that they are
making
rules for.  Once again - GET INVOLVED, don't just sit back and let everyone
else
do the work.   OK, I'm off my soap box.. Thanks for listening.

Trish Demers
Carpe Diem Farm
Hackneys & Sport Horses, training & lessons - driving, riding, sidesaddle,
horsemanship
Lancaster, CA           carpediemfarm@xxxxxxx
Try hard, win humbly, lose gracefully, protest with dignity