[drivingpairs] pulling from the pole

  • From: "David McWethy" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:40:26 -0400

Good topic, and one apparently we have all had to deal with.

Pulling from the pole is sometimes hard to analyse, because everything is
connected, and where do you start? Sometimes it can be one horse afraid the
other wants to bite it.  Or it can be the other horse not pulling at the
pole end to its side, which means all the weight on the pole falls to the
one who is pulling away.  Certainly in all of this it needs to be considered
that the close-to-pole horse may be laying back and the other horse is
eager.  In this case he will be outside shoulder forward, trying to go as
far forward in the hitch as he can.  In every case, everything is thrown
off, and it is a problem you have to deal with.

The easiest thing, as has been advised, is to switch sides.  Shuffle the
cards, try something new!  See what happens.

I guess what I find the most fundemental problem in a pair is to have a
laying back horse.  When you have two horses comfortably on the bit and
traces firm, then you have something to work with.  Other than that, it is
always a struggle.

Rachel -

With your green horse appearing (or actually) lazy, be sure he isn't laying
back because he doesn't want the contact with the bit.  You might try
adjusting traces and lines to bring the experienced horse back towards the
carriage, and give the other some more room, to reduce his contact with the
bit when he is pulling.

Camptown Dave