[drivingpairs] Re: pulling away from the pole

  • From: MRobbinsLHHI@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:33:39 EDT

Hi,
I always enjoy reading Hardy's answers to problems & I  agree with his ideas
on pulling away from the pole. It can also be the wrong  equipment, breast
collars, no brake or breeching & too short a pole, heavy  carriage & hilly
countryside. If you don't have breeching or a brake you  really need full
collars &
a longer pole. Only use a short pole on a  marathon for the obstacles & then
only when your pair are working well. that  way they learn to work next to the
pole. If you are doing dressage, lengthen  your pole & pole straps to allow
the pair to work together, look at the old  pictures of horse drawn vehicles,
see how long the pole is & the angle of  the pole straps. Yes, swap the sides
over so they learn to pull straight. Hope  this helps, it is a question that we
all have problems with at some  time.
Mary Robbins LHHI