[drivingpairs] pairs chat...endless babble really

  • From: Nancy Lindley <nlindley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:57:40 -0400

Hi all,
hope everyone is busy driving.
   What is everyone working on? anyone competing this month?
I am still (endlessly) working on this bend in t he direction of travel
issue. Lately we've had to opportunity to do a lot of straight dwn the road
miles, and I have really made myself pay attention, and keep the 2 girls (as
Hardy had Pointed out) straight on the pole.   This has helped quite a lot
-- I have realized, kind of after-the-fact, how much both horses kind of
curved or leaned away from the pole.
   I have been thinking for some time of getting a yoke (instead of the crab
connection)in hopes that it  would improve how straight the hroses travel --
but in the 6 weeks or so that we've been working on 'being straight' they've
gotten so much better that I think perhaps we will keep working wi crab &
side attachment, at least for now. ( Admitting here that the problem was my
driving, not my equipment.) amazing how just having the issue pointed out
made such a difference.
    I also should note that Robyn had told me long before that I should ride
the bigger mare, and get her to carry herself. She is my husband's trail
horse & I just didnt see the need (have 2 others to ride...also a time
issue...) but I finally go on her and discovered that she just leaned
horribly - at a walk when you took her around a corner she felt like he was
shambling sideways, faster she was doing the barrel-racer lean.  How had i
missed that? no wonder we couldnt really make a turn... anyway, we've worked
on some very basic dressage under saddle, and that has helped as well.
   Also, Some nice lady who's name i cant (sorry!!) recall, who was driving
in RI  wi a pair of very nice VSEs (One named Sugar Pie, one named Chief)
told me not to use the brake when halting before backing, so both horses
would be stopped wi breeching tight, and whaddya know?  it's helped!
   Many thanks to all who have helped me, and so many thanks to whatever
powers-that-be that gave me 2 such patient & kindly souls as a first pair...
it seems they always are just waiting for my driving to be (somewhat)
correct to show me how good they can be.
 Nancy in NH wi the one in grey and the other in blacK... who would love to
hear what other exercises & things folks are working on ... in hopes that
someday I will move on to some new issue myself. (you know like 'improving a
lengthening,'  or  cones accuracy or something.  :)