[drivingpairs] new to this list

  • From: "Phil and Sharon Myers" <trinmar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 16:45:07 -0400

Hi,
I joined the pairs list hoping to learn more about driving pairs and the
equipment.  I drive a single horse, and have been driving for about 6 yrs now.
I have a 9 yr old Canadien Horse, and a 3 yr old Canadien Horse.  I want to
have my three yr old trained to drive, and hopefully, I'll have a nice pair.
We started my youngster under saddle, and he is without a doubt, the easiest
horse I have ever worked with.  I hope this means he will be a good driving
horse!   I don't really have anyone to help me, so I'm looking for a trainer
that can train my horse and teach me how to drive a pair.  I have seen pair
horses that don't seem to get along well.  I'm never sure whether they are
hitched incorrectly, driven incorrectly, or they don't like each other.  For
example:  I've seen the pair pulling away from each other like one horse has
bad breath or something, and I've seen them totally out of sync in the trot.
However, I give credit to the person driving.  They may be new to driving pairs
and may be in the learning process.  I think it takes a pretty gutsy driver to
drive multiples, and for that I give them credit.  I hope this list can shed
light on things like this.  I have driven two pairs of Canadiens, briefly, and
it intriqued me enough to start looking for the second horse.
The Driving Pairs website is full of great information.  I started to read
Hardy's write-ups, and the links.  The website is well done.

Sharon in PA
-----to Susan in AZ, I lived in Chandler and Gilbert for 12 yrs.