[drivingpairs] intro...

  • From: kathleen conklin <conklink@xxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:14:58 -0500

hi everyone,

i have just subscribed to your list. it looks like i MIGHT have a pair soon. the young mule [agnes de mule] that i have had in for training and john henry are going to be put together next week! YIKES! i am going back to agnes' farm, hamilton rare breed foundation, in hartland, vt to work with the farm manager, pat hastings. pat just came back from black prong. she worked the farm's dales ponies with larry poulin 2x a day for 10 weeks.

i can't wait! i have been riding agnes [3.5 years old] and i also pony her from JH when i ride him and tie her to the back of my cart when i drive JH. she is doing great so far. nothing seems to bother her and we are doing some distance now....walk/trot and canter. today we went for a 6mi drive about 1/2 walk and 1/2 trot with about a 1,000 yard canter almost all on the road or the shoulder. traffic doesn't bother her and she is getting just about perfect about strange dogs. today 3 VERY LARGE rotties charged out of their yard when we approached. thank goodness the owner was out with them and he tackled 2 and held them while threatening the 3rd with death if he did anything <G> i feel lucky that we lived thru the encounter. actually, the dogs would have died because agnes is extremely accurate with her kick <G>... it's a mule thing.

anyway i expect that i will need lots of info in the coming weeks. i don't have a work pair vehicle just a fairly dressy wagonette that has a pole... a warco sports wagonette - black body with gold stripes and hunter undercarriage and tufted seats. if these two work out together is there anyone out there with a used war wagon for sale? i am getting ahead of myself...first lets see if the two want to be a pair... wish us luck.

tally ho,
kathleen, john henry \ / & agnes \ /
SHOCKTAMERS - the best hoof pads ever - 978 443-8078
SARATOGA HORSEWORKS - http://www.horseworks.com - mention us and you get a 15% discount
CARRIAGE COVERS, BLANKET CLEANING & REPAIR. ETC - http://horseblanket.virtualave.net
JOHN HENRY - http://john.henry.org