[drivingpairs] Re: hybrid crosses of neck and breast collars

  • From: "Kenneth H. Williams" <lonestr7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 21:03:46 -0500

Hardy,
I have often wondered why so many use the breast collar harness.  I've just
assumed that it was due to the ease of harnessing.  My concern with use of such
harness has been just as you've suggested.  Most of the breast harness I see are
not properly fitted to the point of the shoulder.  They rest below the pushin
point of the shoulder in a place that can cause chaffing and gauling if used at
length.  I'm glad to hear that my concerns are not just me being critical.
I use a breast harness for my chariot but there is absolutely no pull on this
light vehicle and it is used for a very short period of time.  There is no
drastic turning and rubbing as is the case (I suppose) in marathon driving.
The breast collars that I have seen that I like cross the point of the shoulder
then "v" down below the throat (I assume that this is what you mean by a
"fitted"
collar".
Ken