[drivingpairs] Re: going it alone

  • From: N2Horsn@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 02:54:24 EST

I agree with everyone so far.   I like to switch it up.   I think pairs are
great for schooling a horse and then they should do single work too.   I have a
fantastic Percheron mare who is my babysitter for horses I am training.   I
have gone down the street with the most mismatched teams you've ever seen.
I have driven her next to a Quarter pony, a Paint horse, a spotted draft, a
Clydesdale and an Arab.   I like to switch sides on them too.   When they get
too used to working one side, they start leaning.  Sometimes you can't tell
until they have been used on the same sides for far too long and one day you
switch them.   It's the funniest thing the way they lean on each other.   That
can't be good for their balance of movement.   I try to never let them second
guess me.   They should just eventually be good however they are hitched.
and Rachel- re: having ponies too small for you to ride and correct
I understand.   We have horses here of all sizes.   I have definitely noticed
that the ones who are ridden well (like dressage) perform better when driven.
  And likewise, the ones who have been driven perform better under saddle.
The disciplines compliment each other.

~cheers,
           Wendy