[drivingpairs] Re: forecarts

  • From: Carpediemfarm@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:22:29 EST

In a message dated 1/14/2004 11:35:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Subject: [drivingpairs] Forecart
>
>   Sorry to be a little late on this topic.  We really
> do not care for forecarts as a carriage pair training
> vehicle.   Forecarts, as mentioned, were developed to
> pull tools, like cultivators, drags, spreaders.  They
> don't balance well, usually being very heavy at the
> pole tip.  Driver getting in seat, seldom affects
> balance.  Yoke between the horses supports pole, but
> pulls down heavily on the neckcollars.  This can be
> hard on a horses neck, just holding pole up.  With a
> tool behind working, the drag of towed tool, will
> lighten up the pole weight some, but usually does not
> reach a balance point.  Pole weight can vary, jerking,
> as tool behind forecart hops or drags on ground
> surface.

I TOTALLY concur with kathy's statement regarding forcarts for training.  I
get clients who want to purchase them because they are inexpensive, but I don't
like them at all, and most of the horses that I've worked with on them don't
like them either.  They weren't ment for breaking, they are a farming
implement for plowing.
Trish