[drivingpairs] Re: first hook up

  • From: "Danute Bright" <cdeponyz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:22:24 -0400

When you think you've heard it all. . . new training method !

Helen's post on basic training before a horse/pony is ever put to  is
excellent. I think the reason "new and improved" methods keep springing up
is that the old, proven ways don't require much more than patience and the
ability to keep it simple, and teach one skill at a time, before the new
consecutive skill is taught. Where's the money in that ? The slow and steady
process also requires the ability to "read" your horse's reaction to each
new step too : he needs to process the skill and learn it, and be confident
with it before moving to the next step. There is a whole lot of educating
that needs to go on before a horse is ever put to, that doesn't require a
cart, that will tell you about the future of your horse's driving career,
the main fact being, what is his reaction to new and unusual things ? Does
he panic, or wait and see what comes next ? Everyone has a different
learning curve, and some people don't give each horse the time it needs as
an individual to process skills. We send our kids to school for an eternity
(to them, anyway !) but expect our horses to learn something in one or two
attempts.
The art of training lies in knowing what skills to teach, in what order;and
knowing when to wait or when to push a little.

A horse always needs space to give you the correct reaction. I think the car
method sounds very frightening, as even when the horse pulls, it is very
restricted. I would think it is scarey to feel the car  "pushing" you, even
just a tiny bit.  Also there is the question of pulling appropriate weight
for stage in training. I would think if this trainer is so worried about the
horse's initial reactions to putting to, there hasn't been enough
pre-hooking work done. Also, I wonder about the separation between horse and
driver, how can he really  feel and react to the horse if he is back there
in the "driver's seat" ? I don't even like judging dressage from the front
of a car  as opposed to the back of a truck or a real booth !

The most important skill a driving horse needs to learn is to STAND. I've
always taken my guys for walks and stopped to talk to neighbors, etc. After
they get the idea that YOU decide when it is time to move off, you will be
able to put to, get in the carriage and load up passengers without your
critters prancing and squirming, which is much more pleasant  for all
concerned !

Dana
just back from ADS MidAtlantic Regional Weekend, packing for family vacation
to Canada. No ponies or puppies coming :(  Just fishing gear and books !)