[drivingpairs] Re: drivingpairs Digest V2 #228

  • From: Bearcove1@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:13:46 EDT

Hi all,
I totally agree with Hardy on the "fun" events....especially the part where
it may not be beneficial to our horses.  The only other comments I have - and
this is just my personal experience - is that a lot of small clubs try to have
"something"  for the people who drive but only are interested in doing
somthing with their club,  with their horse or pony who is mainly used for
trail
riding and  for fun VERY cheap ($5 entry fee and drive 10 miles to the show
with
old beat up cart and ragged sometimes tied with bailing twine harness).  The
thing that I saw happen when I went to one of these is that we created some
gunine interest in where we were coming from and some of the people who had
never
heard of ADS or a CDE decided to look into it. Also my horse got exprience
around a crowded show grounds with lots of kids and dogs and people in a small
grand stand yelling and cheering.  I took everything slow and easy and didn't
ask much that day except calm and stay happy...which he did.  We enjoyed the
day
and the people and they seemed to enjoy us...the president of this small club
thanked us for coming and said he was sorry they didn't know how else to do
things but would look into it more. We said we had just come for fun and had
had fun. When in Rome etc.  Good will was created all around.  These were good
well meaning people and I think that some came away with more understanding and
interest in driving....especially a lot of pony club type kids and some of
the "molds".

So to summerize - these small shows can be helpful to you and  your horse  -
learning to relax in strange and somtimes loud etc. circumstances  ..just
enjoy. ..and they create more converts - maybe.  I know that I will take my
Hafies
to some of these to just lead them around and sociciallize them in strange
places...and maybe, ,just maybe, even drive a little.

Sincerely,

Lyn in Indy