[drivingpairs] Re: dominance!

  • From: "Jeanine Rachau" <jrachau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:48:38 -0800

Kathleen,

My thoughts on this, is when they are out at liberty - they can do their own
thing.  But when you are involved in the equation, you have them in hand,
under saddle or harness, then you are the top banana, the leader - those
kind of hijinks are disrespectful and dangerous to you.   You need to tell
the offending party  - no! Not here, not on my time, my dime, instead of
waiting for the other animal to do it for you.  You are the leader.  Ground
work in teaching her to back off from you - should be able to be translated
to other venues.   If she starts to crowd in on JH, then use what ever
signal  you have taught her to tell her to back her off, and maintain a
respectful distance.  When she shows that she can come in, and be
respectful, then she be closer (such as ponying).  As soon as she starts
even thinking about acting snarky - back out to the end of the line she
goes.  Consistent leadership and just keeping the door shut on any
opportunities that set her up to take advantage of JH will gradually take
the fun out of the game for her.   I also look at it, that JH is expecting
you to protect him while he is under your control.  Every episode where he
is let down by this, can demoralize him, and loose some confidence in your
leadership.  With longears patterns of behavior are easily set and he might
always want to react this way because it's become a habit, whether he is
actually really that scared or not.

That's my spin on it, but I'm not a trainer, so take it for what it's worth.

Jeanine
Fjord, Donkey and Corgi owner