[drivingpairs] Re: Who we are

  • From: "Rise Massey" <rmassey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:02:57 -0700

Hi all,

Another Canadian lurker chiming in, my name is Risë Massey and I live near
Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I've been involved with horses since I could sit
upright (a long, long, time!) and have been driving for about 10 years -
assorted equines, mini to maxi-sized, in a variety of configurations (up to a
six of mini donkeys - or "dinkeys," as their owners call them !).  I currently
compete in CDEs with a single, spayed Trak/Arab mare who I adore.

What I do, with my partner Angie Benson, is operate Cartwheels Driving Centre -
a teaching and training facility. We are both Equine Canada Driving Coaches and
have both been training for years. As in the rest of North America, driving is
a growing discipline here, and we have a waiting list of horses coming in for
training. Almost all of them have enthused owners who need to learn at least as
much as their equines!

While most of our training/clincs are harness-related, we have also branched
into "bomb-proofing" and ground-work clinics and classes - there are so many
"green"  horse owners around who need basic help. Lots of help! And with the
breed-ring trend to show young horses in hand in classes such as "trail", we're
finding plenty of owners who are recognizing the benefit of exposing their
youngsters, safely and effectively, to the big, scary world asap!

Enough blathering! I really want to express my gratitude for the existence of
this and the other driving list - a great resource, network, source of
educational entertainment for our world. Keep posting, folks!

Risë Massey
Cartwheels Driving Centre
Millarville, AB