[drivingpairs] Re: What we do and what we sell

  • From: "Fletcher, Mary Ann" <MFletche@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "drivingpairs digest users" <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:11:51 -0500

I started pairs driving several years ago with a mother and son duo, arab cross
pintos. Unfortunately I lost my mare at age 17. Rustiheart, the son, did not
take well at that time to driving single. I bought a draft pony and drove her
in about 15 CDEs. I also had embarked on a breeding program with my miniature
jack and Queenie, my miniature mare that has resulted in 5 miniature mules. I
have shown Queenie and Blue Moon, my oldest mule, in 3 CDEs and 1 ADT, the
latest at the FL state fair in February. This year I plan to hook Blue Moon
with the second oldest sibling, Sol. Eventually, I am planning for a four in
hand. Mules are different from horses and seem, at least to me, to take much
more time in training. I bred 20 year old Truffles, our retired jumper and
driving pony, to a Connemara stud. I got back to back foals, one grey and one
bay. The oldest will be three in April. We have started him ground driving. If
all goes well, in two years they will be my pony pair. Meanwhile, we put
Rustiheart back in harness last season, We drove him in preliminary single pony
at the three Black Prong shows this season. Last week, I finish in forth place
overall, 3rd in dressage, 2nd in cones and sixth in dressage (I sort of lost my
way in the new preliminary  test 6). What do I sell? I have sold 5 miniature
donkeys - including my really fine jack (he was too loud for my suburban
neighborhood in Miami/Dade county).  I might sell one of my mules - 5 is really
too many. Meanwhile, our  imported hosteiner mare, my daughter's junior jumper,
injured her flexor tendon on the right fore. So, we are planning to bred her in
April. If all goes well, we will sell that baby - maybe.

Mary Ann Fletcher
JAM Farms
Miami, FL