[drivingpairs] Weekend Clinic

  • From: goodhors <goodhors@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:05:49 -0400

  Larry Poulin is up to visit our drving club this weekend.  He gave
lessons Saturday and Sunday, with more lessons today.  We went both Sat.
and Sun, hauling in.  We split the Team, using them as Pairs for two
lessons, then did the Team of 4 on Sunday.  He helped husband with some
new developments, and gave us new options.
  We had not worked horses  much as Pairs since last year, so they
pulled some different tricks than they had tried before.  Horses hate
change, like their old routines.
  Leaders were shocked to have to deal with WEIGHT of vehicle!!  NOT our
job!  This is a VERY light carriage, but they used it as their excuse to
be silly.  Wheelers said there is not anyone OUT FRONT!  Who will show
us the way?  What a bunch of sillies!  This was first obvious in our
home practices, and some if it got fixed, but there were some other
things going on as well.  Horses were also fit enough to go for the
longer lessons at trot speeds, not pooped out.
  Husband and Larry had a good time driving around,  changing seats,
both driving.  I did some rein changes for them.   Larry did some
changing of rein location on the bits, other rein changes, some whip
tapping on the young horse and the lazy horse..  Interesting to watch
horses respond or not, then change again.  Sometimes it took a bit of
time for adjustment to affect the change desired.  Much improvement in
several places, horses went better.
  After our lessons, we put the Team together and went out for a drive
thru of some of the hazards on the grounds.  Horses did nicely, bending,
listening, as we tried various options of the gates.  Water hazard was
much improved after the first go.  Leader was not trying to help!  Water
was fairly deep, nice and opaque after a couple water crossings.  He
likes clear water, so this was good practice on dirty water.  We grooms
stood on the SEATS!  Water over the back step and platform of marathon
carriage.  Bridges were very loud with all those hooves , but no one
looked twice at them before going on.  Everything was quiet, relaxed,
repeated hazards for best results.  Good finish to the day.
  Rained on Sunday morning but we had afternoon lessons, much warmer,
some sun showing too. When driven as the Team on Sunday lesson,  horses
were much better, comfortable in their old places.  Very soft,
flexible.  Again, Larry and husband rode together, changed seats back
and forth as drivers.  Lot of discussion of our harness setup, rein
handling, horse responses.
  We got the Leader Pair out again for the demo that Larry did for
auditors.  He discussed rein handling, pole length, changes he would do.
 Pair rein adjustmens, hole measuring, Achenbach reins.   Shortening
pole for Pair was one big recommendation, since we were using the Team
pole with crab sticking out pretty far.  He pointed out that crab would
be catching Pair horse nose when he bent correctly on the outside.  He
also demonstrated a crossed over rein handling method, to allow better
whip use on the left side horse hip.  Prevented interfering with the
other rein and hand steadying the horse in front of driver.  Allowed
very handy, accurate positioning of whip aid.
  A very nice clinic, enjoyable weekend.  Nice to see Larry again, great
tips, good help.  He remembered us from Ohio Equine Affair, two years ago.

Kathy Robertson