[drivingpairs] Re: Weather...

  • From: suzanne.temple@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:32:33 +0000

Margo, even down here in the southern part of the state they are late shedding.
 I am still pulling off hair from some of the minis and mules.
It has been the strangest spring, but today it is supposed to get to 100 (but
it's a dry heat) lol
I drove out my pony mules this morning, and for the third drive in a row,
Chester stumbled almost to his knees on perfectly smooth dirt road, and I
couldn't see any reason for the stumble.  He's not ever done this before.  I
don't know if it is just being lazy, or if there is something wrong that I
can't see.  It happens in a second, then he is up again, but it is enough to
get my heartrate up!  I know if I were riding a horse that stumbled from not
picking up his feet, I would scold him and give him a kick in the side, but I
am not sure what to do about Chester.  His team-mate, Abbie, is the zoom-zoom
one of the team, and if I use a whip on Chester to get him going, Abbie is the
one who reacts.  I spend most of the drive trying to slow Abbie down and get
Chester to at least stay up with her, if not actually help.  It doesn't help
that she has a fast walk, and he sometimes has to trot to keep up, and then she
keys off of his trot, and breaks into one herself.  Anyone have any
  suggestions?
--
Suzy Temple
Anthony, NM