[drivingpairs] Re: Warm Day (kinda long)

  • From: Peter & Rachel Eldred <preldred@xxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:20:25 -0800

Just have to add my own 'warm day' experience. We've actually been seeing
some of the sun lately and it's been getting up to about 13'C (about 55F for
you non-metric types), so for my lesson on Tuesday we loaded up the boys and
carriage and drove to our nearest access to the Trans Canada Trail. We
hooked them up and squeezed through the gate and off we went. I've hiked
this trail many times and always wanted to drive here, but never had the
opportunity. The trail allows horses and riders and carriages. Just no
motorized vehicles. LOTS of dog walkers and mountain bikers usually. And
seeing that our section is made up of old railway bed, it's basically flat.
That's good news for those of us who are totally out of condition. The boys
were just excellent and the weather got better the whole time we were out.
We met a gazillion dogs and their people. I found out that black labs want
to play with little ponies, border collies want to herd little ponies, and
golden retrievers RUN AWAY from little ponies (and spaniel puppies just want
to chew everyone). Kristin is teaching the boys to work together and
teaching me how to get them to work together. So she drove and I got to
relax and enjoy the ride. We got to deal with a lot of puddles, which is
just hilarious when the ponies are determined to keep their feet dry.
They're either trying to each go WAY around the puddle, or push each other
in. And we got to cross a huge trestle that was originally built in 1922 and
just rebuilt in 2001. It's well over 100 feet high, so we don't like to look
down. But it's strong enough to drive a truck across with high sides, and
the boys never hesitated, just marched right on across. Oh I'm such a proud
'mom'. It was just the most beautiful drive. I hope everyone is getting out
at least a little these days. If not, get all that inside work done now so
that when the better weather arrives, you can get out and enjoy it.
Rachel in BC

---