[drivingpairs] Re: Virus in Ben Hur posting

  • From: "DELL M. MANGUM" <target@xxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:04:22 -0700

I hope I don't get a virus from Ben Hur ... I don't think I could get up
and walk away afterwords.

I get my hay here in South East Idaho delivered for around 75.00 to 95.00
per ton. I Get a double semi trailer load delivered each fall. About 45 ton.

I prefer the "Mid sized" large bales. I stack it four layers deep and cover
the top with a decent tarp.  I Have a tractor (John Deer 2010) with a front
loader equipped with a set of hay bale forks. I move bales as needed and
feed free choice.  I set bales out in paddocks in a new clean space each
time and then move feeder panels around the bales.  I have "pure bred
Sheep" and they feed through the lower areas and my team eats over the
top.  I have a feed manger on the side of my horse corall that just holds
one of these bales. ( 3 x 4 x 8 ) It will last a week or more for my 1800
pound ponies.

As for availability.... Alfalfa fields are part of the farming field
rotation to help grow those World Famous IDAHO POTATO's ...  But there is a
new company here that "MAKES" hay bales.
They have several different quality groups of hay .... some Alfalfa, some
grass/ alfalfa and some just grass hay... several differamt grass varieties.
They shred the various bales and mix them together and re bale in small
bales.  Then thy ship them out either by rail car loads or on semi trucks
to other areas of the USA.  They send about 3 truck loads a week to
Florida.  It is then distributed to feed stores  so that anybody needing
just a few bales can get some to take home in the back of their SUV.
You might check into becoming a dealer.  And getting a train car load
delivered to a rail sideing near you.
Or consider getting a contract with the county to mow and maintain the road
way right of way.....