[drivingpairs] Update on Pair

  • From: "The Stewarts" <stewarts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 06:34:50 -0500

We have had a prospective pair for quite some time now.  When my Hanoverian
filly Erin was 2 years old, we bought Bob, the Anglo Arab I have driven single
for a couple of years now.  They took to each other immediately, moved the
same, and were about the same size--a bay and a grey.  We hoped sometime they
would be a pair.  Both were slow to mature.  They are now 5 and 8,
respectively.  During that time, Bob did single work and began serious dressage
training about a year ago.  Erin started serious dressage training this spring.
 Whenever she was put to a carriage, I felt she needed more work under saddle
to get her into the bridle properly.  I started driving her again a month or so
ago and saw a tremendous change.  She could carry herself and balance in her
turns.
AND SO, yesterday we put them to together.  They were delightful.  Moral of
this story is that ridden dressage and single driving makes the pair.  That is
where the bulk of their work will continue to be for some time.  But eventually
I think we have a wonderful pair in the making.

We are also fortunate in that this spring we were able to purchase a 2-year old
black bay Dutch filly that seems to have what it takes to go with the other two.

Deryn