[drivingpairs] Tjeerd Velstra Book or Tapes--Bar Design

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 22:07:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dave,

Can you get a copy of the Velstra book or tapes to see
the leader bars he uses?  Also gives you a good view
of how he connects the bars to wheeler breast collar.
There is a center clip on one centered breast collar
ring, then a strap arrangement with quick
release-BUCKLE straps for the sides of breast collar,
holding up ends of tandem bars.  We did the center
ring and clip, had a team horse neckstrap, attached to
shoulder strap, to hold up front of breast collar
weight.  I don't think I would want heavier bars, in
stainless.  I don't know if wood could stand up to
what WE want leader bars to do.  More power and bigger
load than Jay's ponies have to manage.  (NOT a pony
slam here!!)
  We didn't have any have quick-release BUCKLES, so we
just made regular buckle-in-straps, to hold up the
leader bar ends, on the breastcollar, and tie into the
traces for pulling loads.  This holds the wheeler side
of bars vey quiet, allows leader traces to pull
straight back, to vehicle, if leader is put in draft.
  We used square stock, painted, with ring loop ends
holding quick-release SHACKLES, on the leader,
singletree side.  Velstra shows a collared leader
singletree end, to slip his loop-end traces over.  We
are big on quick-release SHACKLES, consider them a
faster release.  Painted is easy to maintain, quick
shot of spray paint, look like new!  Dark color is
good!

  Connection of leader and wheeler pieces was wide
nylon seatbelt strapping, wound around both bars,
centered and bolted closed.  Not much space between
the two bars, just enough for the strap's bolt.
Length of both bars was the width of wheelers chest
(big horse!).  Strapping width prevented much of the
terrible swinging of leader singletree.  Never had the
wheeler get whacked with the leader bars, in the face
or his knees. When leader was just standing, lead bars
hung down wheeler's chest to end, just below his
breast collar material.  Shackles hung lower, but were
closed on D of leader traces.  We used our regular
team horse, leader traces, in the last hole, for
correct length.  Still got leader way out, where she
stayed out of wheeler's way, but traces did not get
down on the ground or curl around to catch a leg, even
on tight turns.  I will try to measure how much length
we gained with bars, tomorrow.
We did not use the belly straps for leader traces.
Something else to catch on hazard parts, or put a hoof
in during a water crossing.

Something else we did, was use the four-wheel vehicle,
not a two-wheel cart.  Husband built vehicle.  Wheeler
had the short, independent shafts, so no chance of
shaft catching in leader bars.  He really liked the
short shafts for bending.  Put no weight on his back,
while spreading out his load onto four wheels.  We
considered it easier on the horse and driver, than a
cart.  Quieter ride and quiet hands was a plus.
Quick-release BUCKLES on wheeler tug loops from
Richard Holyoak, with large, flat, leather pads behind
the short-shaft ends.  Wheeler could not get poked by
shaft ends, even on tight turns.

Our whole setup was designed with CDE in mind.  Not
very traditional.  Horses liked and it worked well for
us.  Kept tweaking it as we went along.  Haven't had
it out for a while, memory is not 100% accurate.  I
will try to measure up the rest of the harness, but we
have BIG (17h) horses, not sure measurements will be
of aid for smaller animals.

We never used neck collars for Tandem in this pair of
horses.  Not sure how I would attach the leader bars
on neck collar setup.  Only used breast collar
harness.

Kathy Robertson