[drivingpairs] Threshing Bee

  • From: "Jim & Dorothy Walter" <svrminis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "driving pairs List" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Carriage Driving List" <CD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 21:29:10 -0700

Dufur, Oregon is a great little hidden valley for a threshing bee, and it
attracts horses big and small from all over.  We took our mini four up over
today (Sat) for their parade and had the opportunity to drive them to a new
half scale hitch wagon built by Orenco Wagons alongside some of their
beautiful giant cousins.  Some of the features were the 4 abreast hitch on
the binder, and pairs of varying sizes doing plowing demos, sheave wagons,
wagon rides, cultivating and planting.  Wow!  All that power and grace in
one place.  Several of the hitches pulled wagons and carriages in the parade
before going back to work in the field.

Also included was the steam tractor with lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng belt to the the
old combine, threshing grain.

Then don't forget the excellent wheelwright demonstration by Everett
Metzentine in his 33rd threshing bee.  He was one of the founders, and
headed it up for many years.  At 86 years young, he is a bit slower now, but
still quick of wit and fields questions from all comers.  The world is
certainly a better place with this old horse farmer in it.  Our hat is off
to Everett.

     Jim & Dorothy Walter
     Sunset Valley Miniature Horses