[drivingpairs] The odd couple - too long

  • From: Nancy Lindley <nlindley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:40:49 -0400

WEll, I've started one of my young guys with my smaller-but-goes nicely as
halfapair pony mare. The young guy goes pretty steadily single, and I was in
many ways really kind of pleased with the two of them.
    Its odd, because I've spent a year on the pony-size pair, and one of
them is very rigid - straight in  the body, & its difficult to get her to
bend. As a pair, they were fabulous to drive straight on down the road or
on a trail, but hair-raising in dressage. we were making some progress, but
the rigid one  was also getting more resentful of the whole deal.
   anyway, I hook the four year old 16 hh fellow to my happy grey 14hh, and
set off down the road. I dunno what I was expecting, but it was just nothing
like starting the pony pair - these guys  are attentive and just seem happy.
Can't really explain it - the bigger is very flexible, but actually hard to
get straight - and he thinks he's Gomez Adams and if given any opportunity
will try to whisper sweet nothings at Ms Pony. His playfulness is the only
problem really, he would really rather talk to his buddy -  he might drop a
bit behind the bit, or even lean a bit into the pole.   He is very flexible
but very hard to keep  straight. He also seems to hold himself together much
more than when alone -- alone he generally is somewhat horizonal, & a bit
too relaxed --  while in pair his neck is a bit vertical and he is just more
upright. He doesn't seem tense; I think its just part of his whole Don
Juan-self image.   I say TTrot, and off they go; same speed, same time,
effortless on my part - and to think we worked so hard wi the pony pair to
achieve that!
   I am thinking that I could get a little carried away with this whole plan
-- &  that I still need to take things slow, spend a lot of time going for
long walks down the road and hopefully age & miles will settle the gelding's
playfulness.  His would-be team mate is still working single, & I will wait
and see if her first times in pair will be wi Ms Pony, also.
   We havent had any problem due to  their size difference, (so far) which I
was worried about.  I was wondering a bit about the connection to the crab
-- we have the pole set a bit low (for the bigger) hoping htat they each
will be carrying an equal share (its a spring pole, so there isnt a lot of
weight up there) does that sound right?      Happy driving all, Nancy in NH