[drivingpairs] Tandemania & voice commands

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 17:52:28 EDT

"...> One of the funniest moments was when I said to Katie my leader to walk
> on but I forgot to say anything to Foxie my wheeler. Foxie stood fast as
> Katie hit the breast collar. .."

Congratulations on a great tandem start. Now to the above line: That's
another one of the many reasons, why I don't use many voice commands but more
of the reins. My upward transition is a half halt as a preparation and then a
give of my hand together with a cluck at the very same time as I give my
hand. The half halt wakes them up and prepares them (actually, it's perhaps
not even a half halt but just taking up a little  contact with their mouths),
it gives the signal: "Hey, now the old man wants something, what could it
possibly be?" Only one of two things when we are at the halt: Either going
forward (90% of the time) or backing up (hardly ever, and for backing up I
would then increase the contact.) Then out of the half halt, I GIVE with my
hand, they stretch their necks forward to  "seek the contact" which really
starts the forward movement, and at the very same moment that is enforced
with the cluck, and BOOM, they go forward, and no matter, how many are in
front there (one, two, four, even six) with properly adjusted rein length the
half halt should reaches all at the same time, so the GIVE as well, and the
cluck certainly does. So then, all start together. No need to call different
names :-)
Hardy