[drivingpairs] Re: Tandem hooking up

  • From: Jane Moody <tiny_tandem@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 20:10:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Ansley (and anyone else who might be interested),

Since I rarely have more than the required "Groom
capable of rendering assistance" when I put to, that's
what we use.  It is helpful to have a 3rd person to
head the leader when the leader is being put to, but
not always required.

I harness both ponies, and put nose buckle halters
over the bridles.  I take the wheeler and put him to
the cart as if I were going out single.  I get into
the cart, take up the reins and then ask my cohert in
tandemania to bring up the leader.  As in any multiple
adventure, control before power, therefore the reins
are pulled from the leader through the roger rings and
saddle terrets and handed to me.  Once I have both
ponies in my hand(s), I ask that the traces be
connected.  We are then ready to head off.  Remember
with a tandem "Forward is your friend!"

The steps to taking them off are the reverse of
putting them to, with one exception.  Sterling
Grayburn recommends that the leader be held in place
by the groom while the whip unhitches the wheeler, and
then both ponies are lead away from the carraige at
the same time.  That way you don't end up with a half
hitched fussy wheeler trying to follow his friend.

That is how I do it.  I am certainly no expert.  I
have only been driving tandem for a year and my ponies
are fairly accomodating.  I am interested to hear how
others do it.

Jane Moody and The Tiny Tandem