[drivingpairs] Tandem and Wedge Seats

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 08:39:01 -0700 (PDT)

Sterling's suggestion of a wedge is a very good one.
We also use a high wedge for the tandem.  Our first
tandem was smaller horses, but still needed the wedge
height for seeing the leader.  We have had to add a
foot rail on the cart, to keep seating on the wedge
secure.  We did more CDE than showing.  Just a
footrail is something you might need also to hook your
shoe under, keep feet solid.  Drove a roadcart, very
high wheels, to the first tandem.  When we changed
from 14.2h horses to 17h horses, cart was modified to
fit.  Longer shafts, wider cross bar.  Still used the
wedge and footrail, were really handy in that cart
driving a single tall horse.  Have to be high to see
ahead.  I HATE seeing only a rump view in front, hard
to drive!

We drive the 17h horses in a 4-wheel vehicle as a
tandem.  Husband likes the vehicle ride better, hates
carts now, thinks the 4-wheels are easier on the
wheeler in CDE work.  Still on a wedge, has higher
sides to keep driver in place.  Carriage was made for
husband, so leg length is correct even with wedge.

You might like having two different height wedges.
Use shorter one for single.  Husband uses a wedge seat
on everything he drives.  Says the wedge is an aid in
seat position, gives firm leg bracing, so all he has
to move is his upper body to shorten and lengthen
reins.  Our wedges are of different heights, depends
on vehicle being used.   Wedge seat prevents a
chair-seat body position of sharp body angles.

Tandems are so fun because everything happens so fast,
wedge, good body position helps the driver be correct
without thinking about it.  Always have a groom/helper
with driving a tandem, things can go wrong equally
fast.

Have a long lashed whip and practice with it a bunch,
so you can lay lash where you want it.  Touch the
leader for bend, snap the rotten barking dog coming
your way so he quits.  The whip is your aid, you need
the skills to make whip useful.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

Kathy Robertson