[drivingpairs] Re: Tandem Moments

  • From: Noel Jones <gedeckt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:05:00 -0500

You could do split screen! The horses from the driver's view and the driver from the horses and you could mount them on the dashboard facing the horses for a view that would remind you and I of all of our best bosses!
On Jan 26, 2006, at 7:00 PM, Heather J. Parker wrote:

Hi Noel,

That is easy to do these days.  They have little
cameras that could be mounted on the horses.  You
would need a couple of video cameras, but it is
totally possible.  We've talked about doing it.

My boyfriend made a helmet cam for when he rides
his bike.  Mounted a camera to a model helicopter
and flow around taking pictures of the camp.  The
carriage is really easy if you have someone who
can help you with the shopping at Fry's (BIG
electronics store out here in CA).

Heather
--- Noel Jones <gedeckt@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have always thought that a carriage fitted
with a video camera that
could show the hands, the lines and the horses
would make some great
selling training tools.

On Jan 26, 2006, at 9:02 AM, Ansley wrote:

I couldn't agree more with getting someone
experienced to help you
start in Tandem. I was very fortunate to have
Camptown Dave as my
groom and Sterling Graburn as my instructor.
My STB girls had pretty
much only been driven single before we hooked
them. We used a marathon
vehicle in an indoor with Sterling as the
whip, I was the passenger
and Dave was the able bodied groom standing
on the back. I have to
give lots of Kudos to all the Tandem
instructors who are willing to
take the reins and drive two horses that they
don't know Tandem and to
people like Dave who are very knowledgeable
and willing to assist. I
was quite surprised at how well they caught
on to what they needed to
do. I did find riding my wheeler and
longlining the leader before we
hooked very helpful.It was quite challenging
to drive two long strided
STB in a small indoor. My brain went to mush
quite a few times and
Katie the leader would stop stand cock her
foot shake her head and
look back at me as if to say "please let
Sterling drive".

A memorable Tandem moment: I am driving the
STB girls around a race
track at a fairly good clip. I am practicing
Achenbach rein handling.
Sterling suggests I shorten two of my reins
and I give a large pull to
the wrong two reins. The girlies go East
-West very quickly and I
almost sit the leader on her butt. The leader
was not happy but stood
her ground, just shaking her head. Sterling
stays completely calm
throughout and explains how corrections need
to be done in small
increments with Tandems and which reins to
shorten next time. We
continue around the racetrack without further
incident.

Camptown Dave and Wendy Ying also did a
superb job of driving the STB
girlies. I think these horses needed an
experienced person driving
them first so they could learn what was
expected of them. I have both
trace carriers and a trace holder on my
leader's harness. The trace
carriers are traditional , but the trace
holders are behind the
carriers and actually snap into a ring sewn
into the traces farther
back to keep them held up a little higher. I
have to date not had a
problem even in tight turns with the horses
stepping on or under the
traces but I also have never done an HDT or
CDE with them.

Camptown Dave makes a great Tandem harness.

Ansley

I am using the free version of SPAMfighter
for private users.
It has removed 236 spam emails to date.
Paying users do not have this message in
their emails.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

noel jones, aago ö¿ö
organ tonal design & voicing