[drivingpairs] Tandem Hitching and Harnesses

  • From: "Ansley" <anewton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:53:59 -0400

I have appreciated all the feedback on how folks hitch their Tandems and
have gotten some good pointers. When I am at home I hitch Tandem in my Barn
aisle, which is plenty big enough to accomodate the horses and carriage.
They are both on cross ties and I had leather  neck collars with several
rings made which makes hitching so much easier for me when the halters are
removed. I do have someone on the ground or in the carriage when I drive
Tandem because I have found it quite difficult to jump out of the carriage,
holding on to the reins and get to the leader by myself. That limits my
Tandem driving because finding someone to be around for that couple of hours
is difficult because I live alone and my neighbors don't like horses :-). I
do drive back into the barn to unhitch and that has worked very well for me
. When away from home the leader is driven back to face the trailer before
the unhitching begins.  For me its important to have a consistent routine no
matter where I hitch.

One of the things I added to my Tandem leaders harness has helped quite a
bit. Dave McWethy and I got the idea from Sterling. The leaders traces go
thru a trace carrier then a ring is sewn in farther back on the trace and
another hip drop from the backstrap is added with a snap on the end. The
snap clips in to the ring on the traces behind the trace carriers and helps
keep the wheeler from stepping over the trace. Has worked great so far.

Ansley