[drivingpairs] Stallion Use-long

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 09:04:50 -0800 (PST)

First, let me say there are many wonderful stallions
out in the performance world, doing their best work,
with skillful handlers.  That said, all stallions are
not equal in temperment, or current temptations to act
like a stallion, so there are badly behaved stallions
who show up also.

Stallion's first thought is breeding, and that must be
kept in mind at ALL times, in EVERY situation.  You
can not control the surroundings of every place you
take him.  WE MARE OWNERS are not going to be real
considerate of him reacting to our mares in season.
Even if we are so stupid as to stop right beside him
or parade by him with tail in the air.  It is always
going to be HIS fault for reacting.  Harnessed, he has
to be no reaction, despite provocation!!!

Stallions I have seen being used, are as single
stallion in a pair or team.  Stallions used as a
working horse are SELDOM/NEVER being bred during work
season.  This means the WHOLE show season.  Seems to
be part of the group thinking deal.  You work when
with other horses, don't breed them.  European stud
farms often have stallion hitches.  However they are
not competing breeding stallions, and often do not get
the stallions out into group things like shows.  Just
use the hitches as work training for young stallions.
They are more strict on evaluation of horse and a
little more age, before breeding.

Stallions are competitive about breeding, and will
often fight or attempt to fight, with another stallion
or strong gelding, they perceive as trying to infringe
on territory or mares.  Spring and summer, show
season,
is high hormone time.  Stallions being bred, are much
more ready to react, strongly, than non-breeding
stallions.  Non-breeding, never been bred, stallions
react also, just usually have a little longer fuse.
They just get thinking of other things, and handler is
often way down the list, whether at home or away.  It
is the nature of the beast, even good training is not
fail safe, though usually sufficient.

I don't know of any people driving pairs of stallions.
 Some mixed pairs, often draft horses.  Kennebec Count
is the most famous stallion driven, in mixed pairs, of
gelding and mare, partners.  Don't know if the mare
was given any hormone treatment, as is common today,
was a long time ago. Count got super training,
experienced handlers for his varied exposure to
situations.  Wonderful mind on the horse.  Still,
there was only ONE stallion to deal with if problem
came up.

You don't say if young horses are stallions or
geldings, so I am presuming stallion, since you said
stallion pair.  I would think that driving the two
stallions as a pair is possible.  However you would be
better/safer? if one was gelded.  Or if young horse
was never bred, to reduce competitive side.  Less
horses to watch for reactions.  However I am also
thinking you will wish to breed young horse or he
would be gelded.  Older horse still may not like him
as a stallion.   Some stallions hate each other.
  I know you are in Florida, do horses show seasonal
changes with shorter days?
  We have seen the best luck with colts, starting
things in late fall, short day light.  Hormones are
way down, less argument, silliness.  Stallions pay
attention better.  Our stallion, broke and trained,
came from a Canadian ranch.  They put the colt
training as the regular fall program.  They ride/work
the 4 year olds daily, all genders and horses are
ready for logging training when the snow falls.  This
is daily handling, horses get 1/2 day use, get tired.
Change horses for afternoon work. Short northern days.
 No stallions bred until six.  Not going to breed
brainless horses, must be trainable before breeding.
Five year olds are the summer work horses.  Some don't
make stallions, getting cut for geldings.  Any of the
stallion band was usable, before being given a herd.
  Hard to replicate that kind of training without a
large ranch and hired help.  Our stallion drove well
with his gelding companion.  When we drove him he was
not being used as a breeding stallion.  Big tough,
gelding lived with him all the time, and accepted 2nd
place in herd of two.  Gelding was reliable and would
do as told even if stallion was distracted.  VERY
IMPORTANT to have one listening horse.  We gelded the
stallion and had a  NICE pair of geldings.  No real
use to us as a breeding horse, we are not breeders.
Though he had bred mares, thought well of himself, was
a nice, easy-to-live-with stallion.  I think it helped
a lot that he had a companion.  Was used to being a
herd horse.
  I think it is an interesting idea driving a pair of
stallions, but see a lot of drawbacks.  I don't think
it is something I would want to do.
 A mixed pair would be safer, only one to watch hard,
particularly since you are inexperienced.  I would
think getting older stallion, pair trained, going
with someone reliable first, would be the next step to
look at.  Maybe there is a quiet gelding you could
rent as a pair schoolmaster?  Younger horse would be
very confused, no help at all.  Putting together two
horses, inexperienced in pairs, is a BAD thing!!
Between pair ignorant, young horse and shorter fused
older horse (stallions ARE sensitive), add stallion
competition, pair sounds dangerous, approached this
way.
  If you desperatly want a pair to show off both
stallions, geld the younger horses.  Get the younger
horses broke to drive, each trained to a pair, with
schoolmaster horse. Do you have pair trained mares for
schooling geldings?  Then geldings all trained,
knowledgable, can be put with stallion in pair.  Both
horses are able to understand the job and work with
you and partner horse.  No reason for horses to be
upset, except that each is new to being with this
partner.  Stalling beside each other can reduce that
newness also.  You want all the factors for success to
be on your side, so everyone comes out winners.
Multiples can go to pieces in a heartbeat, just mares
and geldings.  Asking stallions, you have to be
EXTREMELY well prepared for the task.
  I would also go for lessons in pair handling.  For
what you plan, this should be a MUST DO.  Continental
Acres has trainers.  Larry Poulin and Sterling Graburn
are available in Florida.  Both VERY good multiples
drivers.  They would show you rein adjustments, rein
handling, hitching, things that have never crossed
your mind, with pairs.  This preparation is NEEDED
even if you only want to drive down the road, never
show.  Even the very best stallion, is a different
game than a mare or gelding.  It takes skill and
training to make a good driving horse.  Sounds like
your stallion has the basics, just have to build on
them.  Breeding and working stallion, can often be
done, but not if you make it too complicated, getting
him too frustrated to listen.

Let us know how it goes, if you pursue the pair idea.
It will be a long-term goal.

Kathy Robertson