[drivingpairs] Rolland the Perch has a problem, need insight

  • From: dynasorz@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 09:33:52 -0500

Hi Friends,
I have a pair of black perches called Rock and Rolland (tee hee).They've been
driving together for a year now and are very good boys, honest, patient, stand
well--I've been delighted with them.

Here is the problem and I'm afraid it is a serious one. Rolland is 10 years
old, worked in NYC for awhile, is very competent. I noticed soon after I got
him that when we would stand on a hill, he would automatically cock his left
hip out (I drive him on the near side). It seemed to me that he was trying to
avoid the breeching, even with the brake on. As time has gone on he has become
more emphatic about doing this at every stop if there is any incline at all. He
does not do it on level ground. (He also resists backing up an incline--which
he has to do everyday to back the carriage into the carriage house.)

Recently he has started trying to trot out from the breeching on steep
downhills (we have lots of them). And yesterday, when asked to hold back going
down hill he bit his buddy Rock. Obviously he is feeling some discomfort.
Yesterday I tried him on 3 grams of bute (he weighs about 1800 lbs.) hoping to
see a change in his behavior. I did not see any. He shows no obvious lameness,
though he seems to move a little short in the right rear. Watching him
yesterday, I thought that next time I might try shortening the breeching so
that it hits him a little higher on his rump--but that is the only harness
adjustment I could think of that might help him out.

What are your opinions? I originally considered it might be hocks, but he
doesn't show any of the other classic symptoms of bad hocks. It might be
higher--stifle? Maybe his hip or back?

If any of you has seen this behavior in a pair (or other) situation, I would
value your insight. I'll probably end up taking him to the University of TN for
a work up, but thought I'd ask ya'll first.

Thanks,
Carla Hawkinson
Walland, TN
www.echobrookefarm.com