[drivingpairs] Roger rings & trees

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 12:47:41 EDT

In a message dated 5/19/2003 12:05:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> We use the loose, hanging Roger rings, not the rings
> on the browband.

Let me add to Kathy's as usual great explanations: I see two disadvantages
with the rings on the browband, which some still use: 1. The reins are going
too high with them, above the blinders, disturbing the horses more than if
they are below the blinders where they are with buckle in hanging Roger
rings.  2. As there is pull to the INSIDE of any turn from the inside leader
rein, the fixed Roger Ring on the browband will pull the browband and with it
the blinder off the horse's head / eye to the inside, so the horse can see
behind and get disturbed if he is high strung.  For the same reason, make
sure, that when you use the buckle-in hanging Roger Ring, that it's NOT
buckled into the blinder / browband buckle, but into the throatlash buckle,
so the sideway pull does not pull the blinder off the eye, but only pulls on
the throatlash.  Also make sure, that it's buckled in from behind into the
buckle, which first looks upside down and wrong, put if you buckle it in from
the front, it will pull the buckle OPEN under tension. So it must come in
from behind into the buckle, so it pulls the buckle shut under tension.

I don't know any differences between single trees,swingle trees,  whiffle
trees, whipple trees, or however they may be called, but maybe somebody else
does.
Hardy