[drivingpairs] Quiet Horse Weekend

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:18:21 -0700 (PDT)

We are starting to slow down from the summer, FINALLY!

We had a real good time at the Traditional Day of
Driving.  I did write about it on the CD-L, but could
add more information here, if anyone is interested.
It was rather like a Carriage Driving show, everyone
dressed and polished up.  Quite a few Antique vehicles
out being driven too.  I forgot how much they often
squeak and rattle.  Very comfortable ride though!
Very different from newer stuff we use daily.
Different expectations from the Traditional Day, more
relaxed, at least for us.  The Cross Country drive was
very enjoyable at our location.
  I am not sure what is the recommended time spacing
between turnouts, but anyone going, should have a BIG
allowance between ponies in front with horses
following.  We caught up about midway thru, though
Pair ponies were going as quickly as possible, with a
good whip driving.  Large ponies, but not giant
movers.  They were pretty green as a pair, so we did
some walking to keep them ahead.  Passing is allowed,
but we were not sure of the course ahead, or any big
spaces, so decided not to.  Walking gave us more time
to enjoy the view, and is allowed, but might affect
your time for the Drive score.   We were out for a
good time, not concerned with placings, just being
correct for the Day.

  The hay guy called again and had another load for
Sunday, so that shot that day.    Then we did more hay
last weekend.  At least that was plain grass, MUCH
lighter.  I think we are about set for winter now.
Maybe another 100 bales, a little later in the fall.
Both barns are full to the roof now.

  Today we got the team out for just fun driving.  It
was pretty cool, 50's and cloudy.  Horses all felt
pretty good, so we drove in the ring, in case of rain.
 We got out the new horse and the two younger ones out
for some work.  Everyone got led from the back of the
Marathon carriage, one at a time.  The older horse was
not sure he was supposed to be WAY back there.  He
OBVIOUSLY should be up front with the other 4 horses!
It only took a couple of pulls of the chain-over-nose
lead, to convince him to stay centered at the back.
Then we polished his speed control, to stay back from
the rear step, but forward on a slack rope.  I always
use the chain lead over nose, to ensure control of led
horse, even with a trained animal.  All ours are
trained that way.   He was listening pretty well by
the end.  After a short workout, walk and trot, we
traded him for the 4yr old.  He was rather hesitant,
but willing.  I gave him some more rope, and he came
along with little pulling.   Walking for a while, he
got closer, willing to touch the carriage, be petted
on the move.  I encouraged him with clucks, and he
willing moved into trot off Brian's voice command to
the Team.  He quickly caught on to spacing and
position behind the carriage.  Back to the barn for
the yearling colt.  He was EXCITED!  WHAT is going on?
 We have NEVER done THIS!!  He followed right along,
sniffing the carriage, getting scratched on the neck.
He walked briskly, did try to pass on the side a
couple times, but was willing to be redirected to the
rear.  He got a little bouncy when trot was requested,
and had to be corrected.  NO ONE is allowed to BUCK in
place on a lead rope!!  He was sorry, and did not try
that again.  I did have to keep pushing him back so he
did not catch the back step with a foot or shin.  No
shyness or unwilling to be near the carriage at all.
Just hard to mind your manners, when it is SO MUCH FUN
out with the BIG horses!  He will get better with some
more practice.

  It made for a good afternoon, all the boys doing so
well at this new thing.  The Team was worked pretty
well also, since the ring was deep, wet sand.
Finished before the rain started too!

Hope you all had such a nice weekend.

Kathy Robertson