[drivingpairs] Re: Pole bumping horse in the nose: Floating crab

  • From: "Terri Barker" <barker.terri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:04:48 -0800

Hello,
I have been enjoying as well as learning so much from this website.
I really appreciate all of you that leave so many valuable bits of
information!
I started my first pair this Spring and have had a wonderful time with my
two Morgan  geldings, Rudy 4 yrs and Buddy 6 yrs. Wonderful is not a strong
enough world. Absolutely  awesome! They are so much fun!

When training my Morgans to drives as a pair, right away I noticed the same
problem with the pole bumping them in the nose.
The pole should be at a length  in line behind their chin and yet in front
of their throat at breastcollar level. The book says this is the ideal
position but in reality with the bumps, lumps, twist, turns, hills, give and
take of the harness, proper bending,  etc..., it does not always stay there.
The crab on the end of the pole was always hitting them in the chops!
Worse yet, while one horse was higher than the other due to the terrain,
the pole strap that was attached swivel crab end would automatically swivel
up with the horse thus twisting the other "fixed" side of the crab and
attached pole strap down dragging the other horse with it!

My husband has built me 3 beautiful  carriages over the my years driving
single. He is always inventing new ways to make them better.
My husband, the inventor, designed a stainless steel independent  "floating
crab".  Each side of the crab moves independently from the other allowing
the horse on either side to have the freedom of movement they need without
affecting  his partner. This also allows for a smooooooother ride. Not so
much jerking around. They are about approximately 4" across  each for a
total 8" across the end of the pole which alleviates most of the potential
of it hitting them on the chin.

If your interested in seeing them I will post a picture.
Hope this helps.
Have a great day!

Terri Barker