[drivingpairs] Pole Springs-Sometimes

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 13:39:10 -0800 (PST)

Adding the spring as Jerry suggested is do-able.  When
we did though, it just never worked well.  Vehicle was
not designed for a spring.

We had a trap suitable for 14H Arab crosses.  Nice,
lightweight, fit in the back of the pickup truck!  My
husband did not like the neckyoke and drop pole,
dragging on the horses necks.  They just did not move
as nice as he thought they should.

He got the large spring and fixed a couple of nice
attachments to vehicle, just under the toe board and
pole.  Spring has to be fairly heavy to overcome the
leverage of such a long pole.  Spring did lift the
pole, reducing weight on horses.  However leverage
weight has to go somewhere, so pole weight started
pulling toe board down.  Since good antique vehicles
have a full length body skeleton, that forced the
front wheels back.  Vehicle developed a slight hump in
body.  We removed the spring, since it was the cause
of the problem.  Carriage straightened out and
suffered no lasting effects.  Body was just too light
weight to handle the pole weight.  Not designed for
that job, which is why it was set up for drop pole.
  Pole was slender, proportionate, but long as drop
poles are, so horses can control the vehicle.  Correct
size for horses pulling vehicle.

One horse of pair went lame shortly after and we broke
the pair up, selling the 2nd horse.  Then sold the
vehicle, so pole weight was no longer our problem.
Just a view of what did not work for us.

Kathy Robertson