[drivingpairs] Re: Pairs Harness for Minis

  • From: "Don & Judy Hayes" <djthayes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:42:55 -0500

Very good point, Jaye. I admit I have never tried to fit collars (or any
kind of harness) on any minis. The smallest I have driven were about 44"
(11h). I used draft type collars with them. The draft harness was a bit
heavy and overpowering looking with them. I switched to a buggy type harness
and it looked much better, even with the draft collars. The problem with
that harness was that it didn't have breeching. I also didn't have brakes on
the vehicle I was using with them. Not a good combination, as the weight
when going down hill tried to pull the whole harness forward. They have been
retired for several years now, so don't have to do any more work than
walking in to get fed. Of course, at their age, which we believe to be way
past 30, that is probably work enough. It IS work that they willingly do!

Perhaps using thin (like a blanket) pads under the collar would help in
fitting them to the smaller equines. I'm sure that thick "pads" would
probably be too much in most cases. I guess I was just lucky in getting a
good fit on my small ponies.

Don Hayes     Keep driving!