[drivingpairs] Re: Pairs Clinics

  • From: "Claudia Novak" <novakc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:08:14 -0500

Hi Helen,
        I would be very interested in a pairs clinic here on the East
Coast.  OK, I would prefer one in New England but more than willing to
drive a few miles to attend one.  I have driven singles for many years.

        I am just one of the people that knows their limitations of
knowledge.  While I feel totally comfortable driving singles, the pairs
thing is a bit intimidating.  New harness parts, techniques for
harnessing, harness adjustments and proper turnout are a few things that
bother me. You can read all the books in the World but until you
experience it....
        I can remember only too well attending my first ADS/mini driving
event show nearly twenty years ago. I decided after going over all the
books, to show my mare in an overcheck since that 'looked' like the
proper turnout for my road cart.  NO, that was not how I drove her at
home (side check or no check).  Lala Brewster knew I was a 'newbie' and
said "Claudia, rip that overcheck out and drive that mare the way you do
at home!"  I did and what a huge difference it made.  I still have the
little plaque from the Myopia Driving Club for top Combined Driving
entry THAT wouldn't have been won if I didn't have Lala to tell me this.
        I think that driving people are some of the most 'giving' people
in the equine World.  I also know that driving has changed greatly in
the last twenty years.  The bar has been raised and raised by some top
notch people. I need to raise the 'bar' around here.  I look at clinics
as a way to do this.  Even IF it is an informal clinic with a small
group of people sharing their experiences, it is well worth it.  I don't
'clinics' need to be big fancy things.  I would just like to see a group
of people get together and share their knowledge on pairs.  My personal
goal, NOT to appear a total idiot when Larry Poulin gives me private
lesson on driving my pair in June <VBG>
Yours,
Claudia Novak
http://www.tangwyllt.com/