[drivingpairs] Pair vehicle - was: Happy to have found you!

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:03:05 EDT

In a message dated 7/25/2006 11:05:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
  >  I have two small horses (14.3 &15 h) that are
> going well as singles and that I think would do well working together -
> not that I really know!  I can order a pole for my marathon vehicle, but
> wonder if it is heavy enough for the job.  It only weighs about 300-350
> lbs. give or take a few pounds.  It would be nice if all I had to do was
> get the pole instead of a new vehicle, but I don't want to be using
> something that will get me in trouble.  Any words of wisdom?

That's hard to say without knowing more about the vehicle - but 300 - 350 lbs
indeed does sound very light for a pair of 14-3 - 15 hand horses, and
considering all facts, I think you should probably not do it. With all facts I
mean,
we have green (pair driver) and green (pair horses) here and questionable
equipment, so you really increase your chances of problems. I would recommend
that
you get with somebody who is well versed with pairs so you get some pair
experienced help to put them together and asess the situation, horses and
equipment.  On the horses it also depends how calm and willing they are or how
high
strung and nervous.
Hardy