[drivingpairs] Pair Reins or 4 Single Reins

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:55:26 -0800 (PST)

Synchronized singles, driving beside each other, each
with his own driver, is fine.  I would NOT recommend
one person driving 2 singles with 4 reins.  Hard on
new horse learning.  Time, understanding signal delay
will result in a lot of confusion, learning problems.
Pair reins were developed to make things easier for
all.

Anya, Pairs have 4 rein ends at the horse heads, but
only TWO reins going back thru the driver hands.  This
is the purpose of the coupling buckle, fixing the 4
reins into two reins.  Much less to hold onto, easier
to manage.  The coupling buckle on long rein will
adjust so the reins work together on each side of each
horse.  Both left bit sides get the signal from
driver, then both right sides for turns, straight or
halts.  This is the counting of holes in reins,
Achenbach adjustments, getting horses adjusted
correctly to work together evenly, always being talked
about by Pair drivers.

Juggling 4 reins, trying to keep them even in your
hands for two singles, is a POOR way to go on.  Harder
learning curve than it needs to be.  4 single reins is
just not as good a teaching/learning method for
training two horses to be a Pair, as using Pair reins
will.
  Having your Single VERY good as a single first,
responsive, light, makes it much easier for him to
move to signals, lightness in a Pair rein situation.
Tuning up a Pair horse by going back to single work,
improves the horse with the problem.  Don't punish the
good horse if only one is not correct.
  Pairs need to move, respond differently than do two
singles side by side.  Good driving instruction will
show you the need for using different driving methods.

Kathy Robertson

 Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:19:02 -0500