[drivingpairs] Our Tandem is Going

  • From: "Paul or Deryn Stewart" <stewarts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 07:18:36 -0500

At Georgia we sort of promised Jay Hubert and Sterling Graburn that we would
get serious about putting our tandem together.  Well, they are going nicely.
Paul is the primary driver.  He loves the challenge and handling the reins.
Also loves having a resident trainer who does the single work.  The Anglo
Arab "Faithful Bob" is doing a nice job as a leader, and the Welsh Cob
"Coblynau Cilcennin" is in the wheel.  I like being able to stand back and
watch my two horses work.

After watching Jay and Sterling at Georgia, we decreased the distance
between the two horses, and it improved the picture.  We are driving with
long traces.  It's surprising, but we are able to use the tandem traces we
had for the ponies with the two horses.  Bob, being half Arab, is short
through the body.  Right now we are using the equipment we have.  Cilcennin
(wheeler) is wearing the Zilco marathon harness with the big Bowman
breastcollar.  Our traces have snaps on the end that we are snapping into
the D rings on the side of the breastcollar.  Seems to work just fine.  I
will probably incorporate quick releases.  The leader is wearing a Zilco
pair harness minus breeching.  The trace carrier we had for the ponies fits
too which surprised me.

I have driven them a couple of times.  It really engages your brain.  When I
school the singles, I don't think about what I am doing--everything is
instinctive.  But driving the tandem quickly fries your brain.  It is not
relaxing.  [grin]

Deryn Stewart
Stewarts Driving & Dressage
Ponca City, OK  74604