[drivingpairs] New member

  • From: GoGotlands@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 14:37:13 EDT

Hi, I'm Joyce Moreno and my son Matt Stranahan and I have just joined this
list. We breed, raise and train Gotland ponies. I went to your website and
imagine my surprise to see a photo of Matt driving our pair in our front yard
with
a group of friends who came over for lunch! How delightful. We started this
pair a year ago at a Lisa Singer clinic in northern Oregon. That was the first
time they'd ever been hitched up. We've put on lots of kilometers since then,
but were not able to work consistently enough through last winter (way too much
rain in So. Oregon which is unusual), so we've passed on showing much this
spring and summer. We're working toward fall.
We have the typical problem of one pony (the buckskin mare) who is a
workaholic and the bay gelding who's more than happy to let her pull the whole
carriage herself. It's been great to read your helpful advice on all the
various
pairs issues, particularly the rein adjustments. I must say I have to read
those
over a few times to really get it. Matt (who's 15) got it right away.

He was priviledged to attend the first ADS Youth Driving Camp in Southern
Pines two years ago. He came home inspired and insited we drive pairs. He's
words
were, "Mom, once you drive pairs, well it's addicting. We've got to do it!"
So here we are...and he was right. Now we have many ponies on our farm learning
to go as a pair. His ultimate goal, of course, is a 4-up of Gotlands. Wish us
luck.

Joyce
Turning Point Farm
811 Carpenter Hill Road