[drivingpairs] Mixing Genders

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:29:26 -0700 (PDT)

We have mixed genders that all work together.  Mares
do show heat pretty readily, so you have to allow
extra "potty" stops on long drives.  We plan about
once an hour.  All the horses will pee in harness, so
we just stand for a a bit to get everyone relieved
before going on.  Geldings usually get so sick of
mares going beside or in front of them they turn away
to really ignore it.  Does NOT interst them while
working.  We do offer more water when away from home
so mares don't dehydrate!

We believe the horses have to work out the pecking
order amongst themselves.  This is why we turn them
all out together.  We usually break them into 2
groups, but keep them intermixed.  Change horses in
groups often.  None of them have ever turned out to be
bullies or constantly aggressive, so any friction
settles quickly.  This makes them easier to work with
in the Team, each keeps their herd place. No worries
or surprises from a "stranger" hitched in front or
beside them if someone gets bumped.

I am not sure if it is the horses or training, we
don't have much kicking in playing or enforcing
places.  They usually pull their punches/kicks and
none land in really exciting play.  There can be
biting, some nipping, with lots of shoving and face or
ear threats.  Not too much real punishment beyond a
nip to enforce lesser horse giving way to higher
horse.

Used to be the mares were tops, now a gelding is.
Mares aging, just quit caring enough to REALLY do
something to enforce her higher place.  The very young
geldings are just determined, pushy, willing to work
hard, to get their way at being first.

Springtime sunshine can lead to lots of arguing,
serious biting, rearing, pawing the air, racing about,
among more dominant geldings.  The colt hasn't a clue!
 They also argue with US a bit more, about who is
really directing things here!  Mr. Number One gets
rather puffed up, is reminded he is the HORSE not
DRIVER, not HANDLER.  Not ever terrible, just a
gelding thing.  Geldings push you harder than mares,
trying to move up the herd hierarchy.  You work thru
it, totally over in about 6 weeks.  Part of being real
horses in groups and those longer spring days.

Certain individual horses can be difficult.  They may
not like this partner or being part of a group.  Most
horses prefer being in a multiple, more secure.
Geldings can be quite proprietary about "their" mare.
Worry if she leaves him, defensive if other horses get
near her.  Others don't care at all if seperated.  It
helps to practice horses being worked alone, OFTEN.
Both horse leaving and one staying, find out the world
won't end.

We like our mares, would prefer them over geldings if
given the choice.  Any princess attitude,
over-reaction symtoms, while in season, was
discouraged very quickly.  Horse worked when asked,
correctly, not when they feel like it. Never really
has been a problem with any of our mares, ridden or
driven, several breeds.  You don't blame all your
performance problems on horse being in season either.
We picked our mares to use, they didn't pick us.
Cycling is part of having mares.

  We have driven mare and gelding Pairs and 3 mares, 1
gelding Team.  A 2 mares, 2 geldings Team, 1 mare, 3
geldings in present Team.  Mare leader, gelding
wheeler in Tandem.  2 mares in Tandem.  No quit in
those mares, in or out of season.

  None of ours ever got meds for being in or
preventing heat cycles.  I do know of several horses
who had different side effects from those preventative
meds.  Not worth the work, extra expense, possible
internal problems later, to us.

If the gaits of both horses match well, I would go for
the sale horse.  They will be very likely to make a
good Pair with a little time.  If gender difference
really bothers you, don't get the mare.  You will be
never be happy with whatever she does that is not
perfect.

  Mares like to be "asked" in your requests to work.
Geldings take a little more firm request easily, often
ignore the more gentle asking.  A "please" is easy to
give when working with mares.

Hope you find a match for your gelding so you can go
out to play Pairs too!

Kathy Robertson