[drivingpairs] Re: Jack Lyndon

  • From: "Lori Harris" <loriki@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 23:17:52 -0500

I've told this story of Jack and Jane Lyndon from the Summer of 2000 many
times...everyone agreed that it was THIS type of quality individual who
would keep the driving spirit alive...

Duane and I had returned from the marathon course at Lincoln Creek CDE in
Centralia, WA...Duane was doing the marathon safety checks and I had been
hazard judging/timing...we had spent the last three years: hazard
judging/cones set-up/scribing/safety check/marathon timers/announcing and
every and anything we could find to do at the CDE's from Snohomish to the
Oregon border...today was the day we would make up our minds to compete or
walk away...

When we got to the registration tent Mickey Lofgren was sitting with Jack
and Jane...'These are the Harris' teased Mickey...'They've said this will be
their last year of volunteering'...Jack looked taken aback...took my arm and
looked into my face apologetically as though to ask forgiveness for
offending a volunteer...'Yes' Mickey continued...'They've decided to start
competing'...Jack's face broke into a grin...another convert!!

It has touched my and Duane's hearts to have such selfless people in our
sport who would have such concern and enthusiasm for each and every member
whether a volunteer or a beginning training level driver...we are all richer
for having known him and for having been known by him if even for a brief
moment...

A picture of Jack driving a pair/tandem can be seen in the December 2002
'Driving Horse Calendar'...no more need be said...it speaks more than a
thousand words....

Lori K. Gibson-Harris
Duane Q. Harris
PO Box 558