[drivingpairs] Introduction--new to the list

  • From: Dynasorz@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 08:41:23 EST

Hello Driving Pairs List,

My name is Carla Hawkinson. I learned about this list on CD-L, which I joined
awhile back and am enjoying. My husband, John, and I own a carriage business
in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Three quarters of
our business is with a lovely 5 star resort called Blackberry Farm. We
provide horses and vehicles for all their carriage rides and hay rides. The
rest of
our business is with local wedding facilities and a small tea room down the
road from us. Because of the hilly terrain here, most of our work requires a
pair of horses, though we use singles for weddings if the area is flat or
rolling. We have three pairs of draft horses (Belgian and Perch). We also drive
and
ride a TB/Perch cross and a TB. All are geldings. Our other sport is
foxhunting. One of our goals is to provide carriages to spectators wishing to
follow the
hunt and picnic (just like in the old prints!).

Though I've been driving singles and pairs since the mid eighties, I've only
been driving professionally for two years. I'm looking forward to learning
from this list. (I've never tried tandem. Looks like a challenge!)

Best regards,
Carla Hawkinson
Walland, Tennessee
www.echobrookefarm.com