[drivingpairs] Home Again

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:50:11 -0700 (PDT)

We just got back from a week at the Kentucky Horse
Park with the Cleveland Bay Society of North America.
They had an all Cleveland, both Purbred and Partbred,
horse show.  CBHSNA was invited to be on display as a
British horse breed, with the art exhibit of "All the
Queen's Horses."  It was a lot of fun, met tons of
people.  Husband Brian, did demo and driving classes
under British judges.  Interesting the differences
they note and question.  Demo was fun because after,
Brian invited the audience to come down and ask
questions up close.  We had the four to the Bennington
Dogcart and another driver, Glen McGirr from Colorado,
had a pair of Purebred Cleveland mares to a Canadian
trap.  The audiences really liked seeing the horses up
close, checking harness, and asking about the breeding
on our four horses, all Partbreds.

Humidity in Kentucky is more than we are used to, sure
seemed hotter than it was!  We had nice outside stalls
with fans and the use of the covered arena.  We did
some driving around the Horse Park, on private roads
behind the Park.  Nice, polite drivers all waved from
their cars.

Got in to see the Queen's Horses Exhibit.  What a
great show of horse art, artifacts, armour, things all
related to horses!  They gave us each little handheld
things that would relate details for the displays.  It
would kind of lead you thru a set of cases, giving
more information than the cards showed.  Easy to
listen to, would repeat if you wanted, could be loud
or soft.  VERY nice for a museum show.  I had not used
one before, and liked a lot.  Took the hurry feeling
out of things.  Interesting items made from famous
horses hooves, teeth, beautifully finished.  Not
something I ever thought of doing with the old girl!!
Equipment of the war heros, Wellington, Henry the
VIII, Cromwell, on display.  Spurs, bits, muzzles were
beautifully made.  Many pictures of driving, coaches,
carriages, races, teams of horses pulling trains of
coal cars. There were some small, Royal childrens
vehicles, just beautiful.  An interesting note to us,
was that both little carriages had foot steps on the
wheel hub, like our slat-sided Phaeton.  Ours is a May
and Jacobs, made in England.  I had never seen this
step design, on any other vehicle besides ours.  I
couldn't see the maker on the little carriages.  Yet
there they were, same steps, and on both sides of the
front axle too.  Our step is only on the front
passenger side.  Great idea for a step, safe, easy to
use, can't figure why it was not copied by other
makers.

Trip home was a little slow, running thru the
thunderstorms, but the new-used truck did a fine job
with the horses and trailer.  No problems.  Got all
unloaded Tuesday, what a LOT of STUFF is needed for a
week out!  Just about got everything all washed, put
away and repacked where we keep it.
  Horses were glad to be home too.  We rented
paddocks, rode, drove them, so they had plenty of
exercise there.  However they still ran like foals
when released into the home fields.  I am glad to be
back to ONLY 80F days!  Glad we don't live any further
south!

Kathy Robertson