[drivingpairs] Re: HELP!

  • From: Albert Seminatore <alsemus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:17:33 -0700 (PDT)

Suzan:
  Please understand I am not prejudice BUT you have
the BEST equine breed possible.  Now understand I'm
not biased at all!
   Had the same problem with a "farm" trained pair.
Here are my solutions.
1.     Seperate the two and longline drive each one
seperately in a round pen.  Each time I ask for a turn
it is with the slightest nudge possible.  The
intensity increased until they responded.  The next
time I would repeat the sequence of events.  They
eventually learned to respond to the slightest touch.
2.  Half Halts are only going to inspire them to race
forward.  The reason is they don't understand the
meaning of the Half Halt.  I walked them on longlines
-- great excersise for me -- until they were so bored
they would try and fall asleep.  Then I would start
doing classical dressage excersise such as spiral
circles, free walks, collected walks and lateral
movements.  ONce really comfortable with that it was
time for step 2.
  I would ask them to trot while I walked.  Since I
used draw reigns it was hard for them to pull me off
my feet.  At first they would start the trot hit the
bit and stop.  So I very politely asked for the trot
again.  Finally they would learn to trot while I
walked.  Just keep asking and encouraging with NO
REPRIMAND for mistakes made.
3.  This is an extremely difficult problem IMHO.
First you have to get the horses trust  -- done
through longlines.  Next I drive at a walk and when
making the right turn I do it one step at a time.
That way the off horse learns to move away from the
pole.  Once it understands that I start combining step
and make sure that I NEVER let the pole hit the off
horse.
  I don't think you ever fully get over it but the off
horse eentually gives you a fighting chance to solve
the problem before it intervenes.
........................  Al

--- FreeLists Mailing List Manager

> From: "Suzan Sallstrom" <sunhilow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [drivingpairs] Re: HELP!
> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:17:34 -0400
>
> I have been driving a pair of Morgan mares and
> having a great time.  I just
> decided that I might like to take them to The
> Laurels as a pair at the
> prelim level.  (pending that I can barrow a decent
> harness that fits) First
> I so have a few things to iron out.
> 1.  They pull like trains
>     I give them constant half halts trying to stop
> this problem
> 2.  They think they are race horses...
>     Again half halts to try to slow them to dressage
> speed
> 3.  The off horse, a 5 year old bites at the near
> horse when bending to the
> right.  I think it is the pole that disturbs her.
>     How do I correct these things....
>
> If I can correct a few of these things  I would like
> to do the pair thing at
> the Laurels, just for Ha Has
>
> Suzan Sallstrom
> Sunhillow Studio  Fine Equine Art