[drivingpairs] Re: Fw: BIG SPRING SALE

  • From: Spirithorsethera@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:02:13 EST

WANTED:
SpiritHorse Therapeutic, located in Corinth, Texas, provides free private
therapeutic driving and riding lessons to over 250 children with disabilities
each week. In our year and one half of operation we have started 35 children in
our driving program who were terrified to get on a pony. After 4 or 5 lessons
with their mom or dad in the cart, they were happily climbing on the ponies.
These children with an inordinate fear of horses (and usually all animals) are
often turned away from centers that do not have a driving program. They are
often the children who need equine therapy the most.

In addition to our own program, SpiritHorse provides free therapeutic driving
clinics to teach certified riding instructors to drive. We also hold
certification clinics for the North American Riding for the Handicapped
Association
(NARHA). We have held 5 clinics thus far this year, attended by riding
instructors from all over the world. Through this developmental and
certification
program, SpiritHorse has facilitated a 40% increase in certified riding
instructors
in the US, enough to serve over 500 driving students with disabilities.

We need equipment donated to expand our free clinic program to meet new NARHA
requirements for 6 turnouts in a certification clinic. We also want to expand
our clinics to include training in pairs driving since many vehicles
developed for therapeutic driving are very heavy and need a multiple.

Following is a wish list, but any type of equipment will help:

One set of pairs harness, horse size
One set of single harness, horse size
Four sets of quick release shackles
Black harness dressing
Five sets of reins (in therapeutic driving two sets of reins are used)
Spares kit
Two 18 to 19 inch neck collars with hames and traces
Two pole straps
4 to 5 inch Glory bit
Leather curb chain cover
12 to 13 hand bombproof pony that rides (driving would be great!) aged is
great also
Anything that may be useful in our driving and riding program

Thank you in advance for your generosity. SpiritHorse Therapeutic is a 501
(c) 3 nonprofit organization. All gifts are tax deductible.

Charles Fletcher
Executive Director
SpiritHorse Therapeutic
1960 Post Oak Road