[drivingpairs] Driving two handed

  • From: Candis Hankins <kess@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: driving pairs <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:05:00 -0500

Its funny you should mention this Bridgette. Up until a week ago I drove two handed very comfortably. But for reasons I could not explain one day I nailed two loops to the porch rail and ran my reins through them to a weighted pipe to see what everyone was talking about. After a little practice I could see that the bit moves differently than I had always imagined.
With my new insight I drove my pair the other day in the Achenbach style. At first I had a little trouble because they wanted to speed up all the time, but after two miles they started to respond differently and by the time we had finished a four mile drive they were turning easily with much more subtle cues than I expected. I will definitely try this again as I learn more about it. I agree with Noel.
Even after twenty years behind a pair there is always more to learn. Candy