[drivingpairs] Driving a pair!

  • From: Don & Judy Hayes <don.l.hayes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "drivingpairs" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <CD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:04:36 -0500

Life seems to be busier all the time. Don't seem to get in much driving
anymore. Being "older", and feeling more vulnerable, does have an effect.
Rarily have anyone around during the day to even call 911, and pick up the
pieces. <G>  Just don't like to drive alone any more!

SO, it was a real joy to have our daughter home for a week, and for her to
help me drive! We have two 8 year olds. They are from our Morgan mares,
which I drove as a pair. They are: a Black Morgan mare, and a Palomino Morab
gelding. He's a little longer in back, and neck than her. He's also a couple
inches taller.

Both are trained to drive single. The both do well, in spite of not getting
frequent or regular work. Neither had ever been "exposed" to pairs.

We hitched them to our Pacific Dartmoor Carriage. They drove off, pretty
even, calm, "no big deal"!!!  We stayed in our 75'X150' grass arena. Did
starts & halts, lots of walk, and a few steps of trot. Also circles &
serpentines both directions, and halt & stand.

I didn't expect any real problems, but it all went even better than I
expected. I'm sure it helps to have "been there", "done that", and pretty
much know how to put it all together as well as you can. Even so, it was a
DAMN GOOD DAY!!!

I really enjoy pairs. I've got to find a helper.

Don Hayes        Keep driving!
Chana, IL