[drivingpairs] Cleveland Bays

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 22:02:57 -0800 (PST)

Anya,

  Warmblood horses are no longer influenced by
Cleveland Bay horses.  CB's were part of the original
mix, but no longer acceptable as outcrosses to ANY of
the European Studbooks.  Clevelands are in the
Heritage breed catagory, like Lippizans, Fresians,
Andulusians. No other breeds are acceptable in their
fixed type Studbooks, while the European Warmbloods
are in a constant state of upgrading, to fit the
current demands.
  Neither is wrong or bad, just different goals.
Warmbloods figure they can go back to the Heritage
breeds if they need a certain set of things to change
in their horses.  Otherwise, Heritage is not the style
horse that European Warmbloods want to breed now.
  I am being specific about European Warmbloods
because the American warmblood societies are not as
strict about crosses or type, with the stallion tests
required before allowing breeding.  People selling or
breeding have taken the warmblood word because it was
desirable to buyers.  Small w in warmblood has come to
mean mixed breed.  Some individuals are nice, others
are just a collection of cross breeding.  Does not
mean draft cross on hotblood.

  Cleveland Bay action can be floaty or not, depends
on the individual and his family.  Never high knee
action, unless in play.  We have Cleveland Bay
crosses.  They can float when collected, driven or
ridden.  On a good day, they look like dancers, yet
they have flat knee action, level, which is the
opposite of Hackney knee action, extravagant height.
  Pure Clevelands were classed as draft, but were
really more all purpose animals, ridden, hunters,
driven, farm use.  Not supposed to be ploddy.
Crossing into TB added a lot of speed, so they made
good heavy hunters, coaching-carriage horses, easily
matched.  The CB breeding came thru, keeping horses
type, size, movement very similar.  The heavier bone
and hooves took the pounding stresses of driven
mileage on improved road surfaces in the UK, making
them long lasting animals.  The improved national
train system and autos is what put the CB crosses out
of business.  These CBs, both pure and partbred, were
exported worldwide.   There were many undocumented
animals used for breeding.  Locals just liked a good
horse when they saw one.
  Our Cleveland crosses are referred to as
Sporthorses, not Warmbloods.  They fit a body type,
like Western horses, not specific breeding.
  Our Clevelands drive single, pair, Tandem and
4-in-Hand.  They are real nice horses and best of all,
easy to live with!  That is our number two criteria on
horse selection.  Soundness is number one for us
because we expect a lot from them.

Kathy Robertson