[drivingpairs] Re: All driving, Achenbach rein handling

  • From: KDougk@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 00:43:55 EST

We have had two really excellent posts from Hardy and Jay. Hardy's should be
printed out and kept. It is so articulate and so important.

Good rein handling is the most the important aspect to driving and riding
well. It is the key contact we have with the horse in driving and when done
correctly is both effective and presents an elegant impression.

At the turn of the century, you know the one back in 1900, Achenback was used
by the better whips, while many did drive two handed.

I took my first driving lesson from John Jenkle at Pebble Beach Equestrian
Center in the 1970s and to this day I remember the moment when John picked up
the reins with his huge calloused hands and handled the reins soooo delicately.
I learned at that special moment, a lot about rein handling. It is "all in the
hands" and the lighter one can be with consistant contact, the better the
horses will go, be and forever.

Good hands and technique make the whip and the team.

I understand why CDE driving tends to be much stronger pull so as to have the
horses on the bit, but for anything else, the lighter, the more delicate the
touch, the better it will be.

We sometimes will go out driving for hours and one cannot have a team on
strong contact for long periods. The whip will tired out and the horses get
cranky. My thoroughbreds thrive on gentle handling and that especially goes for
the
reins.

To have a team in hand with light contact driving through the woods is pure
joy, One gets the same feeling skiing fresh unbroken power snow on an untouched
slope. We all, are so fortunate to be able to experience the pleasure of
working with horses.

Snow is on our minds here in the east, as we just had a foot of the white
stuff.

Douglas Kemmerer
Hawks Hill Farm
Middleburg, VA 20118